Monday, April 1, 2013

0 What We're Reading Today (4-1-13)

Why the Euro is Doomed in 4 Steps - The Atlantic
Matthew O'brien

A Brief History of Radical Islamists in the US Armed Forces - The Atlantic
Robin Simcox and Emily Dyer

Why Google Ran a Cesar Chavez Doodle: An Alternative Theory - The Atlantic
Emily Chertoff

Next immigration hurdle: Citizenship's fine print - Politico
Carrie Budoff Brown

Why Was Paul Krugman So Wrong? - The Nation
William Greider

Hawks Slam Obama Over 'Nuclear Zero' - The Nation
Robert Dreyfuss

'Major spill' after Exxon pipe ruptures in US - Al Jazeera
Reuters

Bill O'Reilly vs. Rush Limbaugh - The Daily Beast
Peter Beinart

Kevin Ware's Broken Leg Will Live On in the Annals of Grisly Injuries - The Daily Beast
Kent Sepkowitz


Victoria Taylor

AND in response to this White Student Union, I want to include my friend, Katie's, comment from Facebook:
"Attention white men: Quit trying to save me. I do not need you to save me. I am not interested in your “protection.” Fuck off.
Statistics tell us that survivors of rape and sexual assault are overwhelmingly assaulted by people of their same race. So if this group at Townsend actually cared about rape committed against white women, they would be examining their own misogynistic behavior and checking the misogynistic behavior of other white men on their campus. Since they are not doing this, and since they in fact use misogynistic language on their blog, I think it should be clear that it is not really about the bodily autonomy of white women. Like Joy James said about Steubenville, it is about white men’s moral agency. And of course, it is really about the policing and terrorizing of black bodies. White women are only a rhetorical tool in accomplishing these ends. 

And long have been used as such. The same narratives “justifying” lynching, the brutal murder of Emmett Till, the Townsend White Student Union -- there is no ideological break. 

I write this because I do not want my body used like that. My body will not be a false justification for violence."

And long have been used as such. The same narratives “justifying” lynching, the brutal murder of Emmett Till, the Townsend White Student Union -- there is no ideological break. 
I write this because I do not want my body used like that. My body will not be a false justification for violence."


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Snakes On McCain Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates